Thursday, October 30, 2008

What's really important

The seventy returned with joy, saying, "Lord, even the demons are subject to us in Your Name." And He said to them, "I was watching Satan fall from Heaven like lightning. Behold, I have given you authority to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing will injure you. Nevertheless, do not rejoice in this, that the spirits are subject to you, but rejoice that your names are recorded in Heaven." (Luke 10:17-20)

I love how Jesus casually tells His disciples that it's really no big deal that they can cast out demons. It's almost like He is saying, "So? I defeated him a long time ago. I saw Him fall then and I see him falling now as he suffers defeat at your hands. It's My power, not yours, so don't get all cocky. Just be glad that you are going to heaven." I paraphrased.

Man's salvation is more important than power to overcome the enemy. That power comes from Jesus and His sacrifice. It may be ours to use but it's only obtainable through acceptance of the sacrifice. We should be thankful, not of the ability to resist, but of the chance to spend eternity with Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment