Thursday, October 30, 2008

His Ways

"For My thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways My ways," declares the Lord. "For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways and My thoughts than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:8,9)

We talk alot about understanding God and His will and what He's doing in and with our lives. I have struggled with this more in recent months than ever before. Once we get that warm, fuzzy feeling inside, we start telling ourselves God has revealed all to us. The problem is that feeling is just a feeling. It's our human emotions, our ways and thoughts. God warns us not to trust them. His Word also tells us trust in Him and not our own understanding (Proverbs 3:5). Only He knows the way. Only He can lead and guide. We can only follow. We will fail ourselves, and Him, every time.

The only hope is to follow Him. Sure, this takes discernment and wisdom but He promises to give these freely if we will only ask. The important thing is to listen and hear Him, and not assume we know what He is saying just because it makes us feel good. Again, His word is the standard. If what we hear doesn't match up with that, then we are just plain wrong. Yeah, I don't like that either. But what I do like is knowing that only in His ways will I find everything I could ever dream of. Peace, joy, abundant life are there for the receiving if I can only put aside my desires and my human ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment