Friday, October 31, 2008

Starting Point

So it's okay to be angry, but it's not enough. You have to do something about it, and you have to start with yourself. - Ms. Mays

I've been thinking alot about the emerging young adult ministry we're starting and the whole birth of this thing this week. It's been an amazing work of God, and to see and be part of it is really unexplainable. From ideas to actions, He has given the same inspiration to those of us involved. Only He can do that.

But there's a catch. As we plan and build this ministry, I couldn't help but think about myself. What I mean is my spiritual condition. I am probably closer to God than I've ever been. So, green light, right? Go forth. Not necessarily.

God wants me to use times like this to check myself. As with all things God brings us to, there are personal reasons, too. I can plan and preach and pray all I want but God wants me to keep an eye on my own heart as well. If I'm not where I'm supposed to be, I could seriously cripple this ministry. My sin and rebellion could affect the course the ministry takes. I don't want that. I don't want to be a "curse" on something with so much potential.

So I pray. I've been asking God to straighten me out - more. I don't want to feel like I've achieved some state of accomplishment. I want to be ever-growing in Him. Anything we do for God must begin with searching our own hearts for things that He doesn't want there. We have to start with ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment