Monday, October 20, 2008

Humiliating moment of the day #1

This story will probably get out anyway so I'm going to spill it, in advance, just to protect my dignity. I went to an oral surgeon this morning for two, yes two, root canal procedures. Not a fun morning, by my standards. After FINALLY being taken to a room, the surgeon came in and described in disturbing detail what would be going on in my mouth for the next hour and a half. He then proceeded to numb the entire left side of my head from nose to ear. The shots weren't a big deal. They never have been for me. But today, after a few seconds, I started feeling...funny. My skin got clammy and I started sweating like I was running a marathon. My heart rate was around 220, I think, and my vision, which isn't exactly eagle-like anyway, became spotty. The doctor asked if I was okay (duh) to which I replied, "You're kidding, right?" I asked if I could sit up for a minute since my head was declined two yards below my feet. They, he and the hygienist, sat me up and, sure enough, I passed out. Head over right there on his little table of tools. The next thing I remember is being laid back again and the surgeon smacking me on the shoulder, "Mr. Carver? Chuck? Can you hear me?" I slowly regained consciousness and realized what had happened. My pasty white and moist face instantly turned red from embarrassment. I looked over at the hygienist, who was pale and TERRIFIED, and watched her finally take a breath after half a minute or so. "Wow! I've never had anyone black out on me before. I'm really glad we got you back!"

Yeah. Me, too. An oxygen mask and an hour later, I left. Procedure complete. Those of you who know me can confirm that I am the biggest nerd/geek/dork that ever lived and this story is not that surprising to you, I'm sure. Dignity intact.

No comments:

Post a Comment