Thursday, December 18, 2008

Third post of the day. Man, I gotta get a life.



Okay. I'm a guy so that means I am visually stimulated. When I hear of place, I need to be able to picture it.

This photograph looks across the Jabbok River to the hill of Peniel. It was here that Jacob wrestled with God.

The Bible says that Jacob sent his two wives, two servants, and eleven children across the ford of the Jabbok. That would be here. I mean right here. Try to picture in your mind the events of that night unfolding. The darkness, the sudden appearance of a stranger, and a wrestling match.

Interesting note: One commentary I read mentions a play on words in the original Hebrew language. God wrestled (ye'abeq) with Jacob (ya'aqob) by the Jabbok (yaqqob). Uh, yeah. I get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment