Monday, December 1, 2008

"If you love Me, "

Jesus said, "If you love Me, you will obey what I command." (John14:15)
We all say we love Jesus. I hope. I've never heard any of my Christian friends say, "I don't love Jesus." I hope I never do. So the next question is obvious. Do we obey His commandments?

Because if we don't obey, then, according to Jesus Himself, we don't love Him. That makes me shudder. And heave and convulse. I can't imagine not loving Him after all He has done for me. And after all He has done for the ones I love. He has done everything - He IS everything.

So, His commands. The last thing Jesus said before His ascension was the Great Commission. Think about that. His final words were a command to go and teach others. Makes one think it is important to Him, huh?

Francis Chan puts it this way: "Some people claim that we can be Christians without necessarily becoming disciples. I wonder, then, why the last thing Jesus told us was to go into all the world, making disciples of all nations, teaching them to obey all that He commanded? You'll notice that He didn't add, "But hey, if that's too much to ask, tell them to just become Christians - you know, the people who get to heaven without having to commit to anything."

First John 2:4 says that whoever claims to know Him but does not keep His commands is a liar.

So let's evaluate this "love" we have for Jesus. Is it real? Is it noticable? Can others see it? Only if it is being shared. Only if we take the love that He gives us and give it to those who need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment