Tuesday, November 4, 2008

I've been avoiding this...really I have.

I really, really hate to go here but, I swear, I can't help it. This has been on my mind for weeks. Politics.

For all who read this, all who celebrate or argue or complain around watercoolers or cubicles, all who suffer through the inevitable tsunami of e-mails that will start going around today, I have one thing to say: It doesn't matter.

Whether you consider yourself victorious or defeated after the presidential election, let me assure you, you didn't have alot to do with it. The impending doom or prosperity of our nation is completely unaffected by the president-elect. And, yes, I believe this without question. The only thing we voted for was the target of the jokes and which party laughs at them.

Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. --(Romans 13:1)

This doesn't mean that God endorses candidates. It means He has a greater plan in mind. And it means He is in control, still. He sees time all at once. He sees the beginning and end and He sees His plan for this world, not just this country, as it pertains to His will.

Joseph submitted to the Egyptians. Daniel submitted to the Babylonians. And Jesus submitted to the Romans. You won't find much godliness in those governments, but they existed as God designed for His higher purposes, and, ultimately, for His glory.

Jesus told Pilate, "You would have no power over me if it were not given to you from above." (John 19:11) So, relax. It's still a two-party system. His party and everyone else.

2 comments: