Sunday, October 26, 2008

Hackers

Screwtape to Wormwood: "What we want, if men become Christians at all, is to keep them in the state of mind I call 'Christianity And'. You know - Christianity and the Crisis, Christianity and the New Psychology, Christianity and the New Order, Christianity and Faith Healing, Christianity and Psychical Research, Christianity and Vegetarianism, Christianity and Spelling Reform. If they must be Christians let them at least be Christians with a difference. Substitute for the faith itself some Fashion with a Christian colouring. Work on their horror of the Same Old Thing." C.S.Lewis - The Screwtape Letters

I like it. I like it, alot. This is the church - my church, your church, every church. All congregations have a sect of people that think this way. Let's call them the Improvers. They are always trying to make everything better, or so they think. They are the ones afraid of change but they are also never content. Their discontentment shows in the way they try new things that are really recycled old things. It's usually the same thing with a different name. The solution?

The Hackers. Strip it down, shake it out, back to basics kind of Faith. (Can I get a amen?) Yeah, I think that's us. Those of us who just want it to be real. Real worship, real teaching, real God. One word: rel-e-vant. Not Sunday morning only stuff but a daily, moment-by-moment walk with the Holy One. We don't care what it's called as long as it's real. Chill. I'm not looking for a revolution, I'm talking about a revelation. Him revealed. It's time.

Christianity doesn't need any help. No sideshows, no fireworks, no smoke and mirrors. No "and." God said, "I am." If that's true, then "Christianity is."











No comments:

Post a Comment