Friday, October 3, 2008

Awakening

Webster's defines awake as: to cease sleeping, to become aroused or active again, to become conscious or aware of something; to stir up! This word has been used alot lately in my circles. Myself, the people I love, and the ministries I serve in are undergoing an awakening. What does this mean to me?



I first used this word to describe a moment I had with God a few months ago. He awakened me to many things. Mostly what a complete fool I had been by showing me my pride and selfishness. Then, my minister and dear brother Rev. Benji Fowler chose this word to title his Wednesday and Sunday night curriculum. Since then it has popped up regularly in conversation and Scripture. I have even found it in past bible studies of mine.



So what awakens us? What do we do to be awakened? First, it is God who awakens us but not through anything of our own. For me it was simply a recognition that I was drifting from Him. I didn't pray a heartfelt prayer to Him begging Him to restore me. That came later. No, I simply noticed that I was away from Him and wondered how I could get back. I had been aware all along of my actions but my pride stood in the way of admitting it. So I questioned myself and God took the ball and ran with it. I could expound all day about the whys and hows but I don't need to. He showed up and I have been changed ever since. Humility replaced pride, brokenness replaced selfishness, and most importantly, love replaced fear. (1 John 4:18)



Now I seek to obey, to follow and not lead. I have a new freedom that is based on forgiveness. I don't feel guilty for my actions anymore. My sensitivity to the Spirit is heightened and I make no decisions without prayerful consideration and an earnest desire to please God. Yes, I do fail frequently. Self-doubt is my worst enemy. But God is faithful. He has given me love, new love. He has awakened me.

No comments:

Post a Comment